Function of Hyphen
Hyphen is used to join two words and then they function as an adjective. For instance in the sentence, ‘This is a dog-friendly hotel’, dog-friendly qualifies the noun ‘hotel’. Hyphens are added between number as in twenty-three. There are many compound words that are written with the hyphen like ‘mother-in-law, editor-in-chief’. Over the years some hyphenated words have become closed words like teen-ager is now written as teenager. One can create compound words with hyphen to make the written work comprehensible.
Which one uses hyphen correctly
- Please hold-up the newspaper. or The hold-up was in the newspaper.
- I like off-the-pegs shirts. or Please take the coat off-the-peg.
- He was the writer of the eighteenth- century. or I was amazed to see the eighteenth -century architecture.
- Laila’s self-esteem was low. or This shop has self-assembly furniture.
- That was a ten-ton truck. Or The metal weighed ten-tons.
State whether the hyphen is used correctly
- Since it was a hot day we bought some ice-creams.
- There were twenty- two athletes in the sports meet.
- I love the chocolate-covered nuts kept in that store.
- The trees in the college-campus were decorated with balloons.
- The much-awaited event was just four days away.
- I saw a woman-eating pizza sitting in the corner of the room.
- The child was standing on the balcony of the two-storey building
- It was real let-down that the show was cancelled.
- Sharon was really a go-getter.
- What a cute-little-bird that was.
- The company offered round-the-clock service.
- Look up-and-down if you are sleeping sleepy.
- The mouth-and-foot painters put an exhibition
- Denton will be forty-one next Thursday.
- Do you like the lessons in the third-grade books?
- Don’t be carried away by the high-pressured performance of the salesman.
- John as-far-as- I am aware had seen the film two days back.
- The factory-made car was now ready for the road.
- Will the plane be parked in the airplane-hangar?
- I found the finance-related chapters a little tough.
- The teen-agers were eager to meet the film star.
- The children brought some brightly-coloured flowers to the school.
- North-America set the ball rolling at the beginning of the discussion.
- There were many cars in the drive-in restaurant.
- I am upset with so-what attitude.
- My sister-in-law makes lovely cakes.
- I love that good-to-the-last-drop drink offered at the church.
- The test is in the 6th chapter of the Math-text.
- The new shop has offered better -than-ever price for a week.
- Her off-the-cuff answers made everyone laugh.
Insert Hyphen in the right place
- Wireless communication has brought in big changes in our day to day life.
- A three year old child was singing in the choir.
- One third of the population live on rice and fish.
- Water saving tap nozzles are the in thing in the market today.
- The possibility of fossil fuel powered plants is being studied in great detail.
- The decision making committee slept on the matter and that was the reason for the failure.
- The crossword puzzle starts with two letter ones.
- The top level executives were compelled to go on a paid holiday.
- Third generation vehicles stand a better chance to be in the market for a longer time.
- The cricket match on the internet was real time match.
- The ship carried 320 ton bags in that trip.
- The web based stories are being reviewed for authenticity.
- The new camera captures high resolution images.
- After a 10 year study, the scientists understood that dinosaurs had lived on this earth.
- A high speed data cable was used to transfer the data.