1. How was Iraq governed in the 20th century?
2. What was Arab nationalism?
3. What did the Baath Party stand for?
4. What was the role of Khairallah Tulfah in Saddam’s rise to power?
5. Describe Saddam’s early political activities (1957-1961).
6. How did Saddam’s membership to the Regional Command become key to his acquisition of power?
7. Describe the 1964 coup.
8. What was the July Revolution of 1968?
9. What was the Revolutionary Command Council?
10. What was the nature of Saddam Hussein’s rule?
11. Describe the political purges under Saddam’s rule.
12. What was Saddam’s political agenda after becoming president?
13. How did Saddam deal with the Kurds?
14. How did Saddam deal with the Marsh Arabs?
15. How did Saddam Hussein manipulate the media?
16. How did Saddam deal with opposition?
17. What were the main features of Saddam’s personality cult?
18. Describe Saddam’ modernization programme.
19. How did Saddam convert Iraq into a major military power?
20. What was the reason of conflict between the Shiites and the Sunnis?
21. What steps did Saddam take towards establishing totalitarianism in Iraq?
22. How did Saddam use nepotism to establish absolute power?
23. How did Mussadeq attempt to oppose foreign influence over Iran?
24. What were the consequences of the 1953 coup in Iran?
25. What was the SAVAK?
26. How did Ayatollah Khomeini come to power?
27. What were the causes of the Iran-Iraq war?
28. What were the consequences of the Iran-Iraq war?
29. Describe the Khuzestan conflict.
30. What was the Algiers Agreement?
31. What was the Arab League?
32. How did Ayatollah Khomeini oppose Saddam Hussein?
33. What was the ‘White Revolution’?
34. How did America get involved in the Iran-Iraq war?
35. What were the short term consequences of the Iran-Iraq war?
36. What were the long term consequences of the Iran-Iraq war?
37. What was the Highway of Death?
38. What was Operation Desert Shield?
39. What was Operation Desert Storm?
40. What were the short term consequences of the First Gulf War?
41. What were the long term consequences of the First Gulf War?
1. Why are the states around the Persian Gulf important?
2. Why was Saddam Hussein able to come to power in Iraq?
3. Why was Saddam able to take over the reigns from President Bakr by 1979?
4. Why did Saddam use nepotism to establish absolute power?
5. Why was there a revolution in Iran in 1979?
6. Why were the people dissatisfied with the Shah’s modernization of Iran?
7. Why was the Shahyad Square demonstration organized?
8. Why was the Shatt-al-Arab waterway disputed territory?
9. Why was the Algiers Agreement signed?
10. Why did America get involved in the Iran-Iraq war?
11. Why did the First Gulf War take place?
12. Why did Saddam want to take over Kuwait?
13. Why did Saddam want Saudi Arabia and Kuwait to cancel their loans to Iraq after the Iran-Iraq war?
14. Why did Saddam want to establish regional leadership in the Middle East?
15. Why did America establish ‘no-fly zones’ in Saudi Arabia?
1. Saddam’s personality cult was mainly responsible for his rise to power. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement. Explain your answer.
2. The Islamic Revolution in Iran gave Iraq an upper hand in the Iran-Iraq war. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement. Explain your answer.
3. The Shah of Iran was responsible for the overthrow of his regime in 1979. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement. Explain your answer.
4. Saddam’s invasion of Kuwait in 1990 was a direct consequence of the Iran-Iraq war. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement. Explain your answer.